Saturday, May 12, 2007

My First Linux

Ubuntu Desktop Screenshot

I just got a computer from a nice friend. Kirby gave me a 3GHz Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and a 40GB hard drive that they were getting rid of at her work.

I've wanted a Linux box for a few years now, and since I'm finally done with my undergraduate degree, I figured I should get some Linux experience. Ubuntu 6.10 Desktop edition. The orange theme is really ugly and so is the text. I'll be sure to quickly change that once I figure out how everything is organized. I played with it running from the CD-ROM for a few minutes, and it seemed like a pretty decent OS. Hopefully it'll round out my other computers, a Gateway PC running XP Pro, and a new Fujitsu laptop running Vista.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Nice... very nice.

I thought about attempting to turn my desktop into a Linux machine, just to see if I could pull it off.

But... I bought a Nintendo DS instead.

That's fairly impressive, though. You can actually run the OS off of a CD? How big is the entire OS, and how much RAM does it take to keep it running in a basic mode?